Minister's Study

Ministering, writing, and wrestling in a land flowing with sweet tea and deep-fried food

Saturday, March 04, 2006

You can never have too many books!

March 2nd

You can never have too many books!
My delightful wife sent me out on a couple of errands the other day. Really, they were both just drop-offs. Not pick-ups. But, see, one of those drop-offs was for the library books. Now, I don't know about the rest of you out there, but it is really, really hard for me to walk out of a building full of books empty handed. I really just can't help myself. So I walked into the library with those three children's books to return and heard the siren call of the books for sale.

I just kind of drifted over to the shelves of used books for sale, figuring, "Hey, it's just a quick look. And hey, if I happen to bring back just one or two books, it's no big deal." And then I saw it. Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire in three volumes. For $10. Hey, you couldn't help grabbing them, either, could you? So don't go getting all judgmental on me! And then, how could I turn down The Oxford History of the Classical World? You couldn't either, could you? Okay, maybe most of you could have managed to do without that one. In that case, we'll just skip over the two Patrick O'Brrian novels, the book by Nancy Farmer, and the couple of kids' books. No wait, we will mention the kids' books! Those two weren't really for me at all! Complete act of selflessness, me buying those books.

Yeah. My wife wasn't really buying that either. But at least she's just reached the eye-rolling stage when I stagger in beneath another load of books for which we must find shelf space or box space. I'm just afraid that one of these days she'll just make all the library runs herself. And then where will I get more books?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker