Minister's Study

Ministering, writing, and wrestling in a land flowing with sweet tea and deep-fried food

Thursday, March 02, 2006

My wrestling associations dominate!

December 17, 2005


Just thought I'd brag on my wrestling connections for a quick moment. The high school team I work out with on occassion won the Staten Island duals tournament last weekend in a pretty dominant way. The event is a dual-meet tournament (which means your whole team faces off against another whole team, then moves on to its next opponent, rather than simply putting all the wrestlers from all the teams in a big pool and adding up the points). It's more team oriented than a regular tournament, and has a little room for coaching strategy. Anyhow, the Farrell guys won all of their duals, and beat the second strongest island team in the final by something like 17 points. Some of the kids I've worked with the most closely did very well, recording pins or solid wins in the final (including a boy I coached as a middle-schooler last season -- he was brand new to wrestling then, but looked like a veteran Saturday). There was a pretty nice writeup in the local paper on the event.

Then I got the email sent to alumni from my college and noticed that PCC is currently ranked first in the NCWA, and 5 of the top 8 wrestlers in the NCWA are PCC wrestlers. Nice. Goes to show what olympic caliber coaching can do for a team. Congratulations to any of these guys who happen by this space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker