Minister's Study

Ministering, writing, and wrestling in a land flowing with sweet tea and deep-fried food

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Share-a-thon sarcasm

I've got to be more careful about what I'm sarcastic regarding. For years, I have mocked radio share-a-thons. Although I suppose I'd rather listen to a radio station that takes regular programming off for a week or two out of the year to get listener funding than one that stops for commercials obnoxiously selling things I don't want roughly every 2.5 seconds, I've long made it a point never to listen to the share-a-thons themselves. I mean, that's like subscribing to a round-the-clock telemarketer channel, or something. Not something your average non-masochist does voluntarily.

See what I mean? I can't even talk about them without being sarcastic. It's not like I've got much by way of better ideas to raise funding for listener-supported radio -- I just can't stand listening to people ask for money for hours on end.

And today, I became one of those people. We're in the middle of the Fundamental Broadcasting Network's fall share-a-thon, and since my church operates an AM FBN station, I was asked to help out. Brother Gibbs has long done so, and it would have been ungracious for me not to participate. So for about four hours, I sat with two other guys in a radio studio, and we asked people for money. I think it went pretty well, and the share-a-thon is probably ahead of schedule.

I didn't blog about this ahead of time, partly because I was mildly ashamed to participate in something I have so scorned, and partly because I know none of you would have listened anyhow -- what sensible person wants to listen to someone they know ask for money for hours on end? And I'm sure all the readers of this blog are eminently sensible people. Ahem. Yes, really, I'm not being sarcastic this time. Really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker