Minister's Study

Ministering, writing, and wrestling in a land flowing with sweet tea and deep-fried food

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What I won't miss about the newspaper business

The 3:30 a.m. bedtimes. At least, I think that's what time it was when I crawled into bed this morning. That was after going in to work at 8:00 a.m., with only two short breaks to stuff food into my mouth and dash back out again. Of course, I was back in the office again today before 10:00 a.m. to proof the pages I helped write yesterday. I just got back from taking pictures at a wrestling match (not bad duty, itself) around 8:30 tonight. I am SO sleeping in tomorrow. *grins*

Okay. It's not so bad. I'd rather be up until 3:30 than have to get up at 3:30, to be honest -- the one job I had where I had to do that for a summer well nigh killed me. The bad thing is that for a couple of days each week, I just don't get to see much of my family -- I'm out before they're up, and they're long down when I get back. Lest I think I'm bad off, though, my editor worked straight through from about 9:00 yesterday morning until when I left the office at 5:15 this evening. I'm too tired to count how many hours of work that is.

It's probably a symptom of being tired, but I felt a little grumpy when people said anything about the paper running late this week, after the editor and I did that yesterday -- and it's not like we slacked off last week. With the shenanigans the Pender County Democratic Party pulled this week along with the Board of Education's all-day meeting Friday (now, THAT's what I really don't like about the newspaper business), editor-guy and I just had a ridiculous amount to write and only the two of us to write it.

Oh, well. It's over now. We've probably made irrevocable enemies of local Democrats by telling people what they did, and we'll probably never quite catch up on all the sleep we lost doing it. But there's probably a tiny twinkle in my bleary eyes. It was kinda fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker