Minister's Study

Ministering, writing, and wrestling in a land flowing with sweet tea and deep-fried food

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Another dunked, another joined

Although attendance was down today in church, we had lots of positive things going on anyhow. A young man who recently came forward to join the church got baptized tonight. It's nice having to keep the tank wet. He and his wife are a sweet couple. They say they love the church, and he plans to start going on visitation with us. She is a stay-at-home mom, so she and my wife may be able to get together and hang out, double-teaming the kids.

A gentleman who has been attending the church for a little over four years also came forward to join tonight. It actually surprised me -- he's been coming for as long as I've been here, so I just assumed he was a member.

Just as positive, one of our other new couples has volunteered (at least the husband has; I think the wife may have as well) to help out with the bus ministry too. If we do get that second bus up and running within the next two weeks or so, that would be terrific. My wife rode the bus this morning, and it was a challenge getting our four-year-old up so I could drive my wife over to the church (she had to be there at about 7:10), then me coming back and getting myself and the young 'un ready for church and back over there on our own. The first couple to volunteer should be up and running for next week.

Tonight I preached on a pretty controversial subject, taking what is probably a minority stand on a minor issue. I know the pastor and I don't see quite eye-to-eye on it, but when we spoke about it yesterday, he didn't ask me not to address it. So I tried to be respectful to those who disagree with me, and still be faithful to what I believe about the passage. I guess it went well. No one said they're going to vote against me because of it. Not even the pastor. *grins*

We've been so blessed being here. It's a terrific church with a terrific pastor in so many ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker